Illuman of Oregon is a community of initiated men who have gathered since the winter of 2017 to do our inner work together with the goal of becoming better, more authentic men. We are open to all men based on the simple belief that we are all brothers. This community of the Oregon region plans to establish an official Illuman chapter in the future.
Illuman is an international organization founded in 2012 when it emerged from the remarkable work of Men as Learners and Elders (M.A.L.Es) founded by Fr. Richard Rohr. In December 2012, Fr. Richard blessed Illuman as the organization approved to continue the work begun by M.A.L.Es.
Learn more about the mission and vision of Illuman:
Here In Oregon
Our local Oregon efforts focus on providing men with opportunities to do their ‘inner work’ in the company of other men. We use ritual, teaching and ways of communicating that allow men to create an environment where they can explore what matters to them most. We embrace our Judeo-Christian roots, but extend open arms to wisdom traditions from all over the world and earnestly welcome men from all faith traditions, or no tradition at all. Simply, we want to become deeper, more connected fathers, brothers, sons and neighbors.
We foster an environment where:
- Men can speak without being judged or shamed
- Men can both speak about their emotions and be emotional
- Men can forge real and authentic relationships with other men
- Men can discuss real life challenges of the different roles we play – husband/partner, father, grandfather, provider, businessman, worker etc.
- Men who participate in our groups receive support as they journey through life and face some of life’s toughest challenges and transitions.
- Our communities are a grace based healing environment centered in ritual experiences rather than in conceptual teachings.
- We are men transforming men through a power greater than ourselves.
- We are seeking a life changing spirituality.
- Our primary concern is inner work that makes a difference in the world.
- We are fed by the wisdom traditions of forgiveness and radical inclusivity.
- Our work recovers traditional patterns of male initiation, affirms a masculine path to healing, reveals the true and false self and honors the path of descent.
- We do this through the power of ritual, image, story and council.
These are our five touchstones:
Centering – we are men grounded in the power of the here and now.
Gathering – we are men who listen deeply to each other’s stories.
Connecting – we are men who choose another to walk with – shoulder to shoulder.
Releasing – We are men who let go of the ways that no longer serve us.
Serving – we are men who honor the earth and serve the whole human community.