Almost 20 years ago, Richard Rohr and others created a retreat experience in the wilderness that came to be known as the Men’s Rites of Passage (MROP). Tapping deeply into universal truths and practices, the MROP is now regularly offered in Australia, Germany, Great Britain, The Czech Republic, all over the United States, and new countries are being added. Thousands of men have gone through this deeply transformative experience already, and the movement is growing.
Visit Illuman.org and check out upcoming MROP events around the world.
“You know after any truly initiating experience that you are part of a much bigger whole. Life is not about you henceforward, but you are about life.”
― Richard Rohr, Adam’s Return: The Five Promises of Male Initiation
The Men’s Rites of Passage (MROP) is an experience that awakens men to the adventure and mystery of their own belovedness, their masculinity, their deep spirituality, their potential for leadership, and the process of transformation. Over the course of 5 days of soulful experiences, men go through classic steps of male initiation through simple and moving rituals and teaching.
The MROP Is…
- A personal discovery about the masculine journey, especially for those in or entering their second half of life;
- A time to savor the healing and awesome power of nature;
- A process to address issues of loss, grief, and brokenness;
- An opportunity to examine life’s priorities and ask courageous questions about your next step;
- An invitation to listen to the quiet voice of God;
- A chance to return to life with a renewed energy and commitment to sharing your gifts;
- Open to all men.
The MROP Isn’t…
- A traditional, lecture-based retreat;
- An informational workshop about men’s spirituality;
- A place where you’ll be asked to buy a bill of goods or change your beliefs;
- A threatening process that requires participants to engage in anything unsafe, strange, secret, etc;
- A test of physical stamina.
The MROP is a program developed by Fr. Richard Rohr. Illuman has been entrusted with maintaining the integrity and expansion of this work.
- Wild Man to Wise Man: Reflections on Male Spirituality by Richard Rohr
- Adam’s Return – The Five Promises of Male Initiation by Richard Rohr
- Soulcraft by Bill Plotkin
- Nature and the Human Soul by Bill Plotkin
- The Solace of Fierce Landscapes by Belden Lane
- Pilgrim by David Whyte
- Creating Rituals: A New Way of Healing for Everyday Life by Jim Clarke.